‘Rock The Pilot’: Improvised Test/Pilot Podcast
“Juliet The Painting” from Silent Diane’s Riverside 7” (Answering Machine Recordings)
Tentatively titled “Rock The Pilot” w/ diy danna, the 30-minute Austin music pilot is my very first recorded attempt at a series of shows for Radio Casbah, in which I program selections from the richly diverse local music scene. There is no genre-specific format, but I may include thematic elements in the show on a regular basis. For example: Although tonight’s completely improvised recorded show featured random selections, all my selections happen to feature local musicians who incorporate electronic elements in their recordings and live performances, like synthesizers and circuit bending.
Playlist (Saturday, March 19, 2011, divided into 3 parts due to blog post limits)
1. “Macintosh Tapes” (Weird Life EP - a trial recording for the forthcoming Truck Month LP, BUGSOUND) - SLUGBUG, an analog synth “white nerd funk” band.
2. “The False Cross” (Boy Friend, self-released Jan. 2011) - Boy Friend, Austin shoegaze/chillwave duo Christa Palazzolo (formerly of Belaire and Sleep∞Over), and Sarah Brown (formerly of Sleep∞Over)
3. “Bending Trees” (YouTube video version of single from The Hearts and The Minds EP) - The Hearts and The Minds, a psychedelic pop band that incorporates electronics/circuit bending.
4. “Juliet The Painting” (b-side of Riverside 7”, Answering Machine Recordings) - Silent Diane, a minimal, gothic, surreal vocal and synthesizer duo.
5. “4 A Limited Time” (digital download single) - LOST CAT MAGNET, solo synth/art-rock musician Ricardo Acevedo.
Listen @ SoundCloud:
♫Part 1 - SLUGBUG and Boy Friend
♫Part 2 - The Hearts and The Minds
♫Part 3 (top link/audio file) - Silent Diane and LOST CAT MAGNET
Perhaps next week’s show, if there is one, will be feature experimental, noise, and improvisational bands from Austin.
Comments and suggestions are welcome!